These are easy, but do require a bit of care.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 4 to 8 eggs (at room temperature) 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- 2 to 3 ounces grated cheese
- 2 to 3 thin slices of deli ham
- Butter each ramekin (heat proof, small straight-sided individual serving casserole).
- Heat the milk or half & half in a small pan until simmering.
- Crack an egg into each ramekin.
- Add the milk or half & half, the grated cheese and deli ham
- Place the ramekins on a large jelly roll pan with enough depth to add hot water to maintain moisture in the oven while the eggs are cooking.
- Place the jelly roll pan with the ramekins on it in the oven and carefully pour hot water two-thirds of the way up the ramekin sides.
- Bake in a slow oven (325°F) for about 10 minutes, but watch carefully. As soon as the egg whites become opaque and the yolks begin to get rm, remove the eggs from the oven—you want soft yolks.
Now for some variations -- A great way to use up leftover bits and pieces
Chorizo with Crème Fraîche
- Fry a bit of finely chopped dried chorizo and chopped arugula (about 1⁄2 cup).
- Heat whole milk (about 3/4 cup) with 2 Tbs. crème fraîche, grated nutmeg and a bit of salt.
- In the ramekin, add the chorizo and arugula, grate a bit of Parmesan cheese on top, crack in one or two eggs, add about 1/4 cup of the milk and crème fraîche mixture and salt and pepper. After baking, grate a bit more Parmesan on each ramekin.
Mushroom, Gruyere, Goat Cheese, and Crème Fraîche
- Fry about 1/2 lb. of good quality small mushrooms in a bit of butter—make sure they are dry and almost crisp.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat about 1/2 cup of whole milk or half and half with 3 Tbs. fresh goat cheese—use a whisk or fork to blend it.
- Add a few gratings of fresh nutmeg.
- Finely chop 1 Tbs. parsley and add with the mushrooms to each ramekin.
- Add one or two eggs. Pour 1/4 cup of warm milk mixture in each ramekin.
- Add a few generous gratings of Gruyère. Bake.
- Add a large pinch of parsley to each ramekin.