This is an ingredient you will want to have around. It is easy to make, delicious, and much less expensive than the purchased version. I use it on nearly everything that tastes better with a creamy tang; it is yummier than store bought sour cream, as its texture and flavor are more delicate.
- 2 cups heavy cream (Avoid the ultra-pasteurized version, as it will take longer to thicken and has a lot of the quality nutrition blasted out of it.)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- In a tall pitcher or container, whisk the cream and the buttermilk.
- Cover with a light cloth or a couple of layers of cheesecloth, and leave at room temperature. The mixture will thicken within one or two days.
- Before using, give it a good whisk.
- Store in the refrigerator covered for no more than two weeks.