Sumi Chang's Bread Pudding
Preheat oven to 350º
- ½ loaf (400 grams) of brioche, challah or any egg bread
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tbs. vanilla
- ½ tsp. salt
- Apply non-stick spray generously to the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9-inch square pan, 8-inch round pan or 6-cup (large size) muffin tin and set aside.
- Cut the brioche or egg bread into one-inch cubes and set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat the cream, milk and sugar until nearly boiling, but do not let the liquid boil.
- Pour the hot liquid over the brioche cubes and stir to mix. The bread will soften.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla and salt. Add this to the bread mixture.
- Mix all together thoroughly and pour or scoop into the desired pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the middle of the pudding. If it comes out clean, the bread pudding is done.
Delicious served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!