Courtesy of home Chef Mario Rodriguez
Note: You will also need an 8” cast iron skillet.
Ingredients for filling
- 1/2 Tbs olive oil or lard
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 8 oz. of chorizo (wild boar chorizo by Eric Callow if you're lucky to get some)
- 1 lb of asadero cheese (1st choice), Oaxaca or jack cheese (2nd choice), shredded
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat skillet over Medium heat.
- Add oil or lard and heat it.
- Sauté onion until soft.
- Take chorizo out of casing, add to skillet with onions. As you sauté break it down with spoon until it begins to crumble. Add salt to taste. Continue to sauté until Chorizo is browned, about 5-10min.
- Add cheese to chorizo/onion mixture and stir in until it melts. Don't keep over heat too long after it melts or cheese will become tough.
- Serve immediately. (I keep it in the skillet)
- Optional garnish with your choice of couple of pinches of chopped cilantro leaves or a Tbs. of pico de gallo in the center.
- Serve with corn tortillas or chips.