- 2 large juice oranges (organic, as you will use the whole orange including the skin) Scant amount of vegetable oil
- 1 additional orange, zested
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 cups ground almonds (or you can use Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese, or yogurt, or crème fraiche Zest of 1 orange
- Grand Marnier
- Wash and scrub oranges; place 2 oranges in a large saucepan covered with water, and simmer for about an hour until completely soft.
- Remove the oranges; cool, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Put oranges in food processor and blend to a purée.
- Oil a springform pan and add a round of parchment paper to the bottom of the pan.
- Beat eggs with sugar in a stand or hand held mixer until well mixed.
- Fold in baking powder, oranges and almonds and combine.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour until warm to the touch and toothpick or bamboo skewer comes out clean.
- In medium bowl mix mascarpone cheese, yogurt, or crème fraîche with orange zest and Grand Marnier.
- Serve on the side of the cake.