Pan Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This is the simplest and probably most pleasing breakfast or dinner I can imagine when camping. The trifecta of fat, starch and heat just can't be beat.
- A very good quality loaf of crusty bread (I like Country White or Challah)
- A combination of your favorite hard cheeses-- Manchego, Gruyere, Cheddar, aged Provolone or Gouda, for example
- Knob or two of salted butter, softened
- Cut two slices off the loaf.
- Generously butter the "outside" and "inside" of each slice.
- Grate the cheeses until you have a generous mound to fill between the bread slices.
- Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Place the sandwich in the pan and cook on each side until golden- to-dark brown. The cheese and butter will melt.