A Slightly Different Take on Caesar Dressing
- 6 Tbs. Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Scant amount of Kosher salt
- 2 large egg yolks (optional)
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice, plus more
- ¾ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbs. finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chop garlic cloves finely with a pinch of Kosher salt.
- Use the side of a knife blade to mash into a paste, then scrape into a medium bowl.
- Whisk in egg yolks, lemon juice, the fish sauce and mustard.
- Adding drop by drop to start, gradually whisk in olive oil, then add vegetable oil; whisk until dressing is thick and glossy.
- Whisk in Parmesan.
- Season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice, if desired.
Note: The classic Caesar Salad is a combination of torn romaine leaves with croutons, generously dressed with Caesar Dressing and a grating of fresh parmesan cheese.
There are a number of variations, all good. Leave a small head of romaine lettuce whole and grill on all sides. Pour the dressing over and add finely sliced pieces of parmesan cheese.