Adapted from the Flour Bakery and Café, Boston
Makes 2 loaves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs at room temperature for 30 minutes
- 2 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely mashed very ripe bananas (3 large)
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche or 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 (9- by 5- by 3-inch) metal loaf pans, then dust with flour, knocking out excess.
- Sift together 3 1/4 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a bowl.
- Beat together eggs and sugar in bowl of electric mixer at medium-high speed until very thick and pale and mixture forms a ribbon when beater is lifted, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add oil in a slow stream, mixing, then mix in bananas, crème fraîche, and vanilla. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in flour mixture gently but thoroughly.
- Divide batter between loaf pans, spreading evenly, and bake in middle of oven until golden brown and a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Cool loaves in pans on a rack 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack. Turn loaves right side up and cool completely.
- Slice and serve with crème fraiche or sour cream.